Better Newspapers Competition (BNC) Awards of Excellence
The Alberta Weekly Newspapers Association encourages excellence by sponsoring an annual provincial competition to celebrate the achievements of its member newspapers. Newspapers compete against other newspapers of similar circulation for special awards in such categories as editorial, photography, advertising and special promotion.
The Better Newspaper Competition - Awards of Excellence is open to AWNA members only.
There are no entry fees, however, newspapers entering must be AWNA members in good standing.
BNC Awards of Excellence Categories
- Arts and Culture Award
- Excellence in Creative Advertising
- Effective and Original Use of Colour in Advertising
- Best Habitat Conservation Story (Ducks Unlimited Canada Award)
- Sports Writing Award
- Healthy Communities Journalism Award
- Environmental Writing Award
- Agricultural Supplement or Section (
Genome Alberta Award)
The BNC competition requires entrants to follow certain guidelines when sending their entries to the contest organizers.
- ONE entry per category.
- DO NOT SUBMIT THE SAME ENTRY IN MORE THAN ONE CATEGORY. This includes articles, photos or ads that have been entered as part of a series or campaign.
- If your entry contains jumps, you should combine your entry into one multiple-page PDF file. Two-page spreads are allowable up to 2 MB. Or you may upload up to five (5) separate PDFs. Please make sure that the order in which they should be read is very clear in the naming structure.
- Judges' decisions are final.